I had a great time chatting in today’s scope about writing Etsy product descriptions.
Here’s a summary of the 10 tips. But be sure to listen for elaboration!
- Develop your own voice.
- Don’t write for the potential buyers who don’t bother to read; write for the ones who take the time.
- Remember that customers aren’t able to touch or try your product. Use your words to paint a clear picture.
- Don’t just give the facts. Promote the benefits!
- Put the most important details first.
- Use short paragraphs, succinct sentences, and lists.
- Link to other products or sections in your shop in order to either up-sell, encourage the purchase of additional items, or keep buyers browsing your shop. (And shorten those links!)
- Link to your main shop page at the end of every listing.
- Have someone else read your description to see if their questions are answered. (At least until you get the hang of it.)
- Proofread! If it’s not your strong suit, enlist the help of someone who rocks the grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.